Search This Blog

Friday 5 June 2015

HIV Testing and Counselling - It's Not Just Routine

A visit to an HIV testing clinic left Waza blogger, Nokuthaba Mathema feeling vulnerable and disaffected,instead of leaving her empowered. She writes about the experience in her inaugural blog for Waza.
I did my first HIV test in November 2010 at the New Start Centre at Haddon and Sly, Bulawayo. The first time experience was worth my time.
I went again for an HIV test sometime last week, and believe me, things have changed drastically. A lot has transformed and the paradigm shift is not pleasant.
The first time, when I got to reception, I was kindly referred to the payment desk, where I paid the nominal $1 fee.
Before long, I joined close to twelve people in a focus group counselling session that lasted close to 20 minutes.
The discussion was informative - to say the least. Tests were done, and I was counselled again before being showed my results. That encounter was very much encouraging for a first timer.
Counselling
Sadly, five years down the line, that same song cannot be sung.
Thirty minutes of what they deem counselling has been rebranded to an interrogation, or a question and answer tablet/ipad session. The counsellors are glued to these gadgets from start to end.
By definition counselling is a private conversation with a specially trained person aimed at helping you to help yourself. Counselling encourages you to explore possible solutions to your problems, and to consider the impact that certain decision may have on your life.
You must receive face-to-face counselling before you have the test. This is known as pre-test counselling, aimed at ensuring that you make a well-informed decision about whether to have the HIV test or not. It encourages you to explore the possible impact that having the test may have on your life.
Changed attitudes
Well I cannot say all that happened the last time I was there. The counsellor seemed to be conducting some tired routine that has become redundant and lifeless.
Despite the burning questions I had, owing to the unfriendliness reflected by the so called counsellor, I shut my mouth and agreed to everything.
On that day when I had my last test, after cross checking the numbers on my card and the the numbers on the result-slip, she threw the piece of paper on my lap and said, "You are negative, So what will you do about that?"
"You are negative, So what will you do about that?"
"I will continue to protect myself," I responded and she said, "Okay!" then she took the result-slip, stood up, and were we done.
Just like that!
Considering that I was anticipating a brief post-counselling session, I was clearly shocked.
So as I left, I pondered to myself, "So these people are paid to be moody?"
What ever happened to compassion? Surely I could have received much better treatment. Is it because I am a woman or that I am a youth or both?
Stereotypes
It is through these societal stereotypes that marginalized communities such as women and youths fear such institutions.
Such tendencies and uncalled for behavior by professional counsellors could be a contributory factor, and the reason why they are sometimes hesitant when it comes to HIV testing.
The roots of patriarchal segmentation continue to grow in public institutions, especially places of HIV testing, despite the advocacy for youth empowerment and gender parity.
How can one be empowered as a citizen through HIV testing when the platform is a bit shaky, when the environment is not conducive enough to promote such practices.
Mere statistics
That experience reduced me from a human being, to just a mere figure to add on to their statistics of HIV prevalence.
My sexual and reproductive health rights were violated. I opened up, revealed personal sexual and reproductive information in exchange for a "routine" and an attitude.
Such service delivery infringes on the full execution and exercise of sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Will I ever want to go through that again? I doubt. I did not like the way I was left feeling vulnerable, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Waza is proud to feature as part of its content local bloggers who have a knack for expressing their unique perspectives, independent thoughts and engaging stories. The opinions expressed here are those of the author.
Be sure to check out Waza blogger Joseph Elunya's experience with Uganda's health system.

No comments:

Post a Comment