Search This Blog

Thursday 28 January 2016

HIV disclosure - church family

HIV was first known to be a killer disease. Arguably that's the reason why it's still scary to most people because of how it was introduced to the world - a deadly pandemic. Fear was immediately attached to HIV making people, world over afraid of getting it. Even decades later, there are still people who are frightened to the bone about HIV. Just the word scares many off.
The sad truth is everyone globally it's either you are affected or infected by HIV and that's a good enough reason for people to let the guard down a bit. In a WhatsApp conversation I had with a follower from Pretoria, we spoke about fasting vs ARV. After sharing with her my expert opinion, I ask this follower to pray about it coupled with talking to a youth pastor from church. Just by the response, I later realised that, the religious sector in Southern Africa still has a discriminatory stereotype against people living with HIV.

Shockingly, church leaders and congregates wear the adulterous spectacle owing to the believe that HIV is one of the-so-called incurable deadly disease that God sent as punishment to the world for sinning. I am disgusted by this attitude honestly.

Back to the agenda of this blogspot, allow me to share the steps one should take when disclosing their HIV status to someone in church esp the pastor. Please note, from the extensive research I did, I managed to combine points to come up with this.

GENERAL GUIDELINES

Here are some things to think about when you’re considering telling someone that you’re HIV-positive:
  • Know why you want to tell them. What do you want from them?
  • Anticipate their reaction. What’s the best you can hope for? The worst you might have to deal with?
  • Prepare by informing yourself about HIV disease. You may want to leave articles or a hotline phone number for the person you tell.
  • Get support. Talk it over with someone you trust, and come up with a plan.
  • Accept the reaction. You can’t control how others will deal with your news.
All that matters at the end of the day is that, you become a free bird once you share with your church family.
I love it when I write for change, for impact, for empowerment.
For feedback, views and comments hit me up - anytime- on my WhatsApp number 00263 736268067

No comments:

Post a Comment